FoHP : History : Henrietta Pulteney

 

  James Snaith Brymer

James Snaith Brymer died 1859 (aged 59) at 76 Pulteney Street. His obituary appears in the Bath Chronicle on 8 December 1859 (p.3). His wine cellar was advertised for sale in the Chronicle of 23 December 1860 (p.4). Mrs Brymer's death is reported in the Chronicle of 24 March 1892 (p.7)

 

The fountain was obviously given by him earlier that year - a number of these were donated by citizens suitably concerned with the safety of public water supplies, as Brymer probably was given his relationship with the Min. There is a Bath City Act Committee report (of the meeting on Mon 17 Oct 1859) where they inspected the cold water fountain which it was proposed to site near the entrance of the vegetable market [behind the Guildhall]. On 19 January 1899 (p.5) the fountain's move to Henrietta Park is noted under the reports from Bath Town Council. 7 Feb 1907 (p.3) it's noted that it used to be in Orange Grove [which would fit with the entrance to the veg market]. So yes, the fountain was once sited elsewhere - the markets were massively redeveloped when the Guildhall and Orange Grove area were redeveloped - including the building of the Empire Hotel in about 1900 - which would account for the necessity of moving it at this time.

 Anne Buchanan

Local Studies Librarian,

Bath Record Office : Archives & Local Studies,

Guildhall,

Bath and North East Somerset Council

BA1 5AW

2018